Tuesday, September 16, 2008

inspiration from Helen Keller

10 days of onam holidays.
my teachers had given me loads and loads of assignment and tests to be conducted after onam.but just like any good college student,i never bothered to open any of my textbooks.
all i did was eat,sleep and watch tv.but after a point of time,i found this also boring.

that's when it suddenly dawned to me that i should improve my vocabulary.i analysed the various options like studying from the dictionary,reading the newspaper or reading a book.at last i came to the conclusion that the last option would be the most interesting and effective one.

i picked up Helen Keller's book 'the story of my life'.as you must be knowing,Helen Keller was blind,deaf and thus mute.she was born as a very normal child.but fate went against her when she caught an illness at the age of two.she was frustrated and depressed as she could not communicate.this went on for about three years.then as a ray of hope she got a teacher who trained her to be a civilized and normal human being.

Miss.Keller was eager to learn and to communicate.her teacher encouraged her to do everything a normal child would do.be it swimming,climbing a tree,walking in the garden all by herself or anything adventurous, Helen would be ready for it.and then she wrote books and became somebody whome we talk about 100 years hence.

i am thankful to God that he gave me all my senses which i take for granted.but reading the book made me think "am i using at least a portion of my talents?"i tried improving my vocabulary from a person who couldn't even see.what an irony!
Helen Keller could achieve it because she had the urge and the determination.it made me think "so why cant i?"
thank you Ms.Keller and hats off to you!!!!:)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I like your blogs, they touch a chord somewhere!

Destiny's child... said...

hey remu..so u did do somethign worthwhile during the hols...hmm...u r not my friend anymore...u nerdy!..lol..kidding!
jokes apart...the blog was nice...:)...n am happy with the lenght this time....:)
good work!

Unknown said...

gud wrk!! :)